With a recent update to the Streamlabs mobile application, we implemented the LAN streaming feature. Not only can you stream directly from your phone to Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and more, with custom alerts and widgets, you can now set up a LAN stream to feed directly into your computer. This allows you to stream your mobile games to your PC or have an on-the-go webcam for walking around your home. Available now for Android.
What exactly does this do or mean?
Well, while on a supported device, add a media source into OBS Studio or Streamlabs OBS, or etc, that will show what you see from your devices camera(s) or screen as long as your device is on the same network! Network meaning your computer is connected to your modem/router via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and your phone is also on Wi-Fi, this will not work from your mobile connection.
What do I use this for?
You know how you always wanted to do that live setup tour for your stream? Or you wanted to show off something you got but your webcam is stuck being stationary at your desk? Maybe you wanted to jump in your pool for a challenge. This is what this would be for.
What this isn't for is for streaming off your mobile network to your PC at home.
How do I do it?
1. Download and install the Streamlabs mobile app: available now on Android.
2. Open the Streamlabs mobile app and sign in with your streaming platform.
3. You can add widgets if you wish, but isn't necessary (actually better if you don't if you are setting this up, can always open the Editor up later and add them for IRL streaming.
4. Once you are logged in you should see the below screen, you are going to tap on the button shown below:
That's it! You're done
Some quick things to note if you have an issue:
- Double check the URL are using is correct, sometimes this URL will change from when you first setup this source.
- Be sure to use the FLV stream each time, this is a checkbox option that appears at the end of the setup process.
- Perhaps the device you are streaming from isn't connected to your Wi-Fi, your computer can be connected via Ethernet and your device with Wi-Fi, just not your mobile network (4G LTE, 3G, etc).
- If after creating the source, and you double checked the above, close and re-open your streaming software.